Monday, March 19, 2007

Dearest William....

Most of this post is inspired by a response to a letter to a close friend.

First off, let me start off by saying that the chances of the weather in Canada being around -100000000000 C is rather impossible. That being said, it has also been quite cold lately here. I thought that spring was here to stay, but there has even been talk of snow. March is by far the worst month in Canada, not even a contest; if it is not cold and snowing, it is cold a raining. If I were to state my least favourite thing in life it would March. Not only is the crappiest weather of the year out and about, but there is all of this talk about March Madness.

Personally, basketball is ridiculous. It’s not that I don’t like the sport, well actually yes, I guess that would be the main reason of my hostility towards it. I just don’t like it. Nothing personal, except for my ill wishes again the Raptors. They are not good, plain and simple. They always need to have someone carry the team on their back (i.e. Carter, Bosh). I’m sorry to say it, but the Raps will never, ever be the Champs.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I get worried sometimes that people think that I don’t like it here. Granted there are some things that are less than desirable, but for the most part I really like it here. Here I’ll put it in bold to emphasize my meaning:

Altes Lager is a swell place to live.

On occasion, it is permissible for one to make a stop at Starbucks. Yes, it is expensive, but I suppose you’re buying a little bit of pretentiousness with every cup of coffee (and we all secretly love to be pretentious now and again). I wonder why feeling pretentious is addictive? Why is there such an inherent system in all of us that yearns for us to be well composed and perhaps even ‘upper class’. I do like their apple cider though....mmm. Although, it seems like it’s always too hot and I burn myself every single time.

I also have the same problem with studies. Every semester it was the same ‘I’m going to do it this time!’ attitude. However, after about 3 weeks I usually begin a slide that ends with me not doing half as well as I could be. I can’t remember how many times I’ve been talked to by profs and teachers about this. Too many to recount in this blog post.

I do have to say that I believe it will actually be different this time. Obviously this seems like I’m following the previous pattern but the difference is that this time I want to do school, as opposed to needing to do it. I wonder how it will all turn out? Let’s hope that the time tested formula can be broken on occation.

As for the topic of names, I do in fact like the name William. For the benefit of those you who are just reading, my roommate and I came up with a plan. One of the great things about collage is that you can change who you are, to a certain extent, because most people you meet there don’t know anything about you. I don’t like the name Gary (sorry, mom), so I’ve decided to change it. I once tried this in high school with the name Ben and it almost stuck. This time around when I head back to collage I’m changing my name for good. So far the front runner is William, but anyone is more than welcome to make a suggestion. Think scholarly British names (Nigel, Thomas, etc.)

I certainly do not like the name ‘Gärchen Bärchen’, which I have recently been hearing. All through out high school, older girls always called me ‘Gar Bear’. I swore to the Lord Almightly that I would never go through that again. Same with moms, they called me that too. The moms of all the girls I’ve ever dated called me by some nick-name that just added to my annoying ‘cuteness’. I have had so many nick-names I couldn’t possibly count them all. Most of them are in some way degrading.

Today was pretty swell as a matter of fact. Keith is back from München and he has no voice left. That meant that I had to drive around with him today and help him with all of his duties, like mailing letters and what not. I also happened to mail something, but I forget who I mailed it to. I also certainly added enough postage this time.

1 comment:

Christine said...

What about Allistar?