Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Living Healthy

Today was one of the best days I have had in a long time. Sitting here now, I have a large amount of satisfaction in recalling all of the things that I accomplished today.

The day started out simply enough, with Keith ringing my doorbell. I seem to incorporate the doorbell into my dreams frequently, most of the time it is a bag thing seeing as, unless it’s Keith, the only time someone rings on my door is when something is wrong or someone wants something from me. Anyhow, I keep on imagining the doorbell ringing so when it does ring, I’m never sure if I just making it up in my head. Today, I wasn’t; Keith wanted the keys to the car to drive to work.


I then proceeded to ride my bike to work, fulfilling a promise to myself to ride to work when it was feasible. Lately, I have not done so but today was a good exception. I went on riding to Malterhausen at 7:20am and it was, unfortunately, not as warm as it was yesterday (21 C). As such, it was a worse than usual decision for me to wear my badder-lachen (flip-flops).

I also found on the way there that my head phones now only work in one ear. This is somewhat of a tradition. Every pair of head phones I have ever owned in my entire life have eventually broken down so that they only play in one ear. You cannot believe how annoying this is, especially when you’re in the middle of your favourite Eels song.

Kindergarten was no worse than usual, in fact, today was actually pretty good. The Quiet Key game has effectively been destroyed – every child now carries their own ‘key’ in their pocket to open their mouth when I shut it. I would be more upset if I didn’t find their actions amusing and quite clever, for 5 year olds. We mostly ended up playing ‘What Time is It Mr. Wolf’.

On the ride home the weather was much friendlier and my mind started to wander a bit. I began thinking about what I was going to do when I returned home and found that I was apt to do so due to the fact that my apartment is well, for a lack of a better word, it is disgusting.

This made me pretty upset, the fact that I didn’t want to be in my own room because it was so uninhabitable. So I did the only thing that I knew would make it better and went on a absolute rampage. I vacuumed everything (and took the vacuum back), then I dusted, then I cleaned my bathroom so well that even my mother would be proud (my back still hurts from scrubbing the bathtub for 45 minutes). Then I took out my recycling, garbage, paper waste, organized my papers and then proceeded to go do two loads of laundry. This took up most of the day.

After that I was feeling very good about myself. One always feels better after doing a good long day’s work, something that I have not done in a long time. To keep up with the streak I went to the grocery store and bought healthy food, with no beer or sweets. I almost caved and bought a bottle of wine, but I’m trying to save money for traveling. What is wrong with me? I actually did everything that I should have done. Something is different; I might be sleeping near an open gas vent because my life is getting crazy.

AND to top it all off, I phoned my friend Hannah and we had a nice long, fulfilling chat about everything. She’s coming to Germany at the end of April and we are planning a trip together, most likely France or Belgium. I am really, really excited. Should be a good time.

No comments: