Thursday, July 12, 2007

This past week has been somewhat of a melancholy one. I’m not sure if it was good, bad or if it just was. Perhaps the last one feels the most correct. I’m not sure what I really expected out of my last week with the kids but I just let it happened and it went by fairly emotionless.

I believe that this state of emotionless stems partially from the fact that I was distracted this week. On Monday night I noticed that I had a slight tickle in my throat and my 12am that evening I was suffering from a high fever and sore throat. I would later find out that this was caused by a bad case of strep throat. It was very uncomfortable and it came at a bad time. I refused to go to see a doctor because it is a hassle and I wanted to see if my body could handle it. As it turns out, my body can handle it but it just takes about a good week longer than if I had gone and received a prescription. No matter, I showed that bacteria who is master of my domain: me.

Even though I was slightly delirious and oozing with sickness I decided that I should rally my strength to do my last week as an English teacher. Many of the kids had planned things for me, so I tried my best to act energetic.

My first attempt was an utter failure that almost resulted in me passing out on the floor. My second attempt was not much better. I had come wishing to say a quick good bye but I was given a gift of a 2 hour horse ride through the forest with the kids. This, normally, would have been great but for some reason the weather this month has been freezing cold and I didn’t have a jacket. I nearly died.

After that things got much better. I went on with my visits and received many good wishes and excellent gifts. I was starting to wish that I could stay with my little friends that I had made this year.

I was starting to get depressed towards the end of the week and I didn’t really know what to do with myself. It was then that Altes Lager received a visit from the First Mennonite Church of Winnipeg Choir. Now, one might think that hosting a menno choir from Winnipeg would be boring and uneventful, but it was amazing and we had a great time. Yes, most people on the choir where older than 65, but there were a couple of young bucks (30-45s) who were a real lively bunch. It was great to talk with Canadians and I couldn’t help but laugh as the conversations always seemed to turn to farming. As it turns out, wheat is very popular in Manitoba. I would have never guessed.

I even got invited along to go to Berlin with them and after a tour of the Charlottenburg Schloss, we had a nice Italian meal and then I went to the Berliner Zoo. I didn’t see Knut, but I did see many penguins which made the day highly entertaining. For those of you who are wondering, yes, the Toronto Zoo is still far superior.

No comments: