Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Today I was bored so I started driving looking for a Media Markt (the Future Shop of Germany). I couldn’t find one no matter where I looked and I was getting pretty far away from my house. All of a sudden there stood a sign before me that said ‘Potsdam 16k’. I’d never been to Potsdam before but let me tell you, it’s nice. Really nice.

Potsdam has a quaint European style setup that is very different from the hustle and bustle of Berlin. I took a nice stroll down the street (keeping an eye open for a media markt) and came across a wonderful array of beautiful parks, churches and markets. There is even a Dutch Quarter which has nice tiny Dutch houses. What more can one ask for?

Schloss Sanssouci was also a treat. The summer home of the Great Electors the park and palaces cover an area of 287 hectares. Needless to say, I spent a very long time and was well rewarded with views of Chinese tea houses and beautiful gardens. A must see for anyone who visits the area, it was easily one of the nicest places I’ve been in Europe.

Well, after a slow lunch in the market I continued my hunt for a media store but was not very lucky. It was getting quite hot after that so I decided to call it a day and head home for a nap. I feel like I’m already retired and I haven’t even held a proper job for more than a year yet.

As for my next adventure? I’m still trying to work that one out.

No comments: