Monday, September 03, 2007

In the Groove

Things are certainly different here in Canada. I have now realized that I am back for good and with that realization comes a myriad of feelings. Some good, some bad, all of them confusing.

I am currently working at a pool company in Stouffville, and though it is a far cry from the fulfilling work I was doing in Germany, it pays much, much better. The hours are pretty crazy though. Right now, I’m working at least 10 hours a day. Makes the 20 odds hours a week I worked in Germany look like nothing. Perhaps because that was nothing? No matter.

I recently had some Germans and Rachel and Peggy (people I met in Germany) over at my house for the past couple days. I wish I could have done more with them, but I had to worked everyday. We still went to Toronto a bunch of times and had a few laughs. It was nice to see my buds.

So, I’m back in Stouffville. I have to say that I have changed a lot. I think it took a little time in my home town to make me realize these changes. I feel bad because I have betrayed all of my youthful feelings and the typical attitudes towards going home; I like being home. A lot. Is that a bad thing? Maybe. Isn’t the answer supposed to be, “I can’t wait to leave again” ? I find that when people ask me if I’m looking to go travelling again soon, my answer is always a quick, “heck no”. It’s possible that I’m just tired of travelling for a while? After all, this was a pretty intense year.

There was a point in my youth where I wanted nothing more than to get out of Stouffville, but now I find it’s so nice to be back here with my family and friends. I’m thinking that the teenage-fight-the-man-flame is now, sadly, officially dead. We had a good run. On second though, scratch that, we had a horrible run. A yearning for a middle class normal life and a partially finished, never to be completed, degree in political science begs to differ with my first statement. So much for changing the world.

In other news, I have been reconnecting with a lot of my friends in the past 3 weeks and it has been sehr gut. There have already been lots of geek fests and party times. I’m looking forward to a very quiet fall and winter though. I think I need to do this whole life thing a little slower for a while. Is it possible to do life slower than Altes Lager though? Doesn’t seem possible.

1 comment:

Mike Duerksen said...

Nice to read an ex-trainees blog. Thanks for the comments, Id love to know some places to stay for free at in Germany or Switzerland.