Sunday, September 21, 2008

"The Circle of Life"

So I'm back where I was when I first started this whole "blog" nonsense. In my room, in Waterloo, a little high. It's taken me a full three years to do one big complete circle. Haha, you just cannot beat that. Before, I would have maybe saw that as a sad thing, but I realize now that its what life should be for me right now. It feels right this time. Its almost as if I am putting on a shoe that seemed too big three years ago but now feels snug.

I think Fall has something to do with calm mood that I've been in the past few weeks. There is something about Autumn that has always spelled new beginnings to me. The smell of burning leaves, the sounds of the new school semester or people that have started to walk briskly, instead of a steady gamble, due to the coming cold. These are all things that I've found very relaxing. Instead of getting energized and high strung of this new season, I tend to slow down and notice how fast everyone else seems to be going.

I've been back in Waterloo for almost a month. I live with 2 guys and 2 girls. The guys our loud and nuts, and the girls are calm and quiet. We are your typical university students. I am not in school, although I wish I was. I've had to settle to work this semester and start in the winter.

I work at a pub called "Failte". Which I think means, "Hello" in Gaelic. I work a 40 hour week from 6-2am most nights. Its has a small kitchen where I work as the cook. Seeing as its an Irish pub, people go there most of the time to drink, not to eat. I read a lot of books at this job. (Which, apparently, is a great way to meet girls. Also, one time a guy asked me if I wanted to come back to his house once I was done work to hang and drink beer. I said no.)

Other than work I mostly spend my time researching music or doing grocery shopping. I've been to a two parties this year.

The first was an Anything But Clothes party. I did the follow:

* Wrapped myself in cardboard and alluminum foil. I want to say it was a suit, but to be honest,
it looked more like a dress. I won first prize for the guys.
* Drank a large amount of Jack Daniels and then played tip cup.
* Went home and then to The Duke to see Dave and Gina. Lots of other people were there.
* For no apparent reason, I decided to have a good cry at this point. Cried at the bar? Check. Cried outside? Check. Cried by a large display of barrels, outside your house? Check. Check. Check. By the way, this was all in front of my good friends, random people, and my still very good looking ex-girlfriend. Oi vey.

The second part I went to this year was a party of a good friend. I had a few drinks and then felt really old because everyone apparently knew my name but I didn't know a single soul because they were all 3-4 years younger than me.

Thus has been my life in Semtember. I'm not exuberently happy. However, I am far from depressed and sad. Which I suppose is the best a man can hope for. I left my home and friends and came back to something that was difficult for me to do. I'm proud of myself for doing that and that is what keeps me happy. Along with the excellent roommates, a steady diet of KD and pizza pockets and a few good cries.

No comments: